Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Domo-kun Cake

RAWR!

We had a belated mum's day celebration on Sunday.

And I brought a Domo-kun cake. What's a Domo-kun, you say?

According to Wikipedia, he is a strange creature that hatched from an egg. His favorite food is Japanese-style meat and potato stew and he has a strong dislike for apples, because of an unexplained mystery in his DNA. Domo-kun is known to pass gas repeatedly when nervous or upset.

Not very glamorous right?

And it really probably wasn't very smart of me to bring a Domo-kun cake. The aunties all had a good laugh over the "monster-mum-in-law" cake. I actually guessed that would happen but I really wanted to make the cake after reading A Table For Two here!


On the plus side, my mum-in-law (I think she may be my biggest fan!) thinks my cake was very yummy! That's not too bad at all, considering that I basically used the chocolate cake recipe from the back of a box of Hershey's cocoa powder (it's my fave choc cake recipe!)

P.S. For the record, my mum-in-law is THE BESTEST mum-in-law in the world!

"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake
Adapted from the back of a Hershey's Chocolate Box

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups AP flour
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup veg oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 180C. Grease and flour 2 8-inch square baking pans.

Combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water and pour into pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a cake rack.

Chocolate Ganache

1 cup dark chocolate
1 cup heavy cream

Melt in bowl over simmering water on low heat. Cool before using.

No comments: